Knicks · OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread (page 1)

smackeddog @ 3/17/2020 4:20 PM
A thread where we can make suggestions, share our finds, and keep morale up while life as we knew it takes a break.

I’ve had to finish with nearly all my clients, so am only able to work 2hrs a week for a while. Am planning on rewatching Lost, which is proving very enjoyable so far (I’d forgotten half of it so it’s like a new show), and might read that new bball book: Tanking to the Top:

Review
"Through exhaustive reporting, Yaron Weitzman expertly takes us on a thrill ride through perhaps the NBA's grandest and greatest experiment. The Process was Moneyball on steroids, and Weitzman is our nimble guide through all the drama inside of the board room and on the basketball court. It's the best NBA book in years."―Jonathan Abrams, New York Times bestselling author of All The Pieces Matter and Boys Among Men

"The Philadelphia 76ers are nervous about you reading TANKING TO THE TOP -- with good reason. Yaron Weitzman digs deep into the core of the organization's famous (and infamous) "Process," showing the reader every high, low, success, failure, and, yes, wart. It's a gem of a book; a gift to basketball junkies fascinated by mechanisms of the NBA."―Jeff Pearlman, New York Times bestselling author of Gunslinger and Boys Will Be Boys

"'The Process' was the boldest, brashest, diciest, most controversial roster-building exercise we've seen in the NBA. Sam Hinkie's gambit alarmed fans and outraged NBA executives -- and it worked. But the Sixers' rise from laughingstock to contender was so much more complex and layered than a two-word catch phrase. In TANKING TO THE TOP, Yaron Weitzman unearths new details and fresh insights, with an insider's expertise and a deft touch, providing the definitive account of this fascinating saga."―Howard Beck, senior NBA writer, The Bleacher Report

Anyone read it yet?

Also enjoying The Leftovers, which I’ve finally got round to seeing and is quite apt for the current situation!

BigDaddyG @ 3/17/2020 5:59 PM
I'm finally making use of that Amazon Prime subscription. Jack Ryan is pretty good. I'm watching an anime called "Blade of the Immortal" that's excellent. Art work is amazing. It's about a Ronin cursed with an infection that makes it impossible for him to die from anything but decapitation. Very gruesome scenes. Also catching up on Curb, The Outside and Better Call Saul. And of course, Westworld. I heard Picard isn't that bad. Will give it a shot.
smackeddog @ 3/17/2020 6:11 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:I'm finally making use of that Amazon Prime subscription. Jack Ryan is pretty good. I'm watching an anime called "Blade of the Immortal" that's excellent. Art work is amazing. It's about a Ronin cursed with an infection that makes it impossible for him to die from anything but decapitation. Very gruesome scenes. Also catching up on Curb, The Outside and Better Call Saul. And of course, Westworld. I heard Picard isn't that bad. Will give it a shot.

I haven’t watched any anime since Neon Genesis Evangelion, might use this stretch to catch up on some! Curbs still great. Westworld I thought had too many bare asses on seats the first season (there was like 6 cracks per episode!), was about to give up on it, but enjoyed the s1 finale so will give s2 a shot! I’m saving watching Picard until I’ve finished rewatching TNG, which is now looking like the exact opposite of what the future is probably going to be like

Also finished watching the OA on Netflix, enjoyed it a lot

smackeddog @ 3/17/2020 6:22 PM

Good times!

BigDaddyG @ 3/17/2020 6:29 PM
smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I'm finally making use of that Amazon Prime subscription. Jack Ryan is pretty good. I'm watching an anime called "Blade of the Immortal" that's excellent. Art work is amazing. It's about a Ronin cursed with an infection that makes it impossible for him to die from anything but decapitation. Very gruesome scenes. Also catching up on Curb, The Outside and Better Call Saul. And of course, Westworld. I heard Picard isn't that bad. Will give it a shot.

I haven’t watched any anime since Neon Genesis Evangelion, might use this stretch to catch up on some! Curbs still great. Westworld I thought had too many bare asses on seats the first season (there was like 6 cracks per episode!), was about to give up on it, but enjoyed the s1 finale so will give s2 a shot! I’m saving watching Picard until I’ve finished rewatching TNG, which is now looking like the exact opposite of what the future is probably going to be like

Also finished watching the OA on Netflix, enjoyed it a lot


Yeah, Eva got me through many lonely nights in college. Still play the Beast theme when I'm playing games. I may go through Shenmue 1&2 in preparation for part 3. Westworld season 2 almost lost me, but the second half of the season reeled me back in. I can't do a Lost rewatch knowing how frustrating the last season is.
GustavBahler @ 3/17/2020 10:15 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:I'm finally making use of that Amazon Prime subscription. Jack Ryan is pretty good. I'm watching an anime called "Blade of the Immortal" that's excellent. Art work is amazing. It's about a Ronin cursed with an infection that makes it impossible for him to die from anything but decapitation. Very gruesome scenes. Also catching up on Curb, The Outside and Better Call Saul. And of course, Westworld. I heard Picard isn't that bad. Will give it a shot.


Havent read the anime, but the movie is awesome. Watching Westworld too, Curb "Latté Larry" LMAO. No high speed internet out here in the sticks, but Id check out "the expanse" season 4 is on Amazon.

Akwafina is fing hilarious, funniest comedy central show since "Key and Peele". Going to watch "The Plot against America" as well. Not to mention "Better call Saul" is as good as ever.

bigjeep8 @ 3/17/2020 10:21 PM
I'm catching up on ZZZZZZZ's!
ramtour420 @ 3/18/2020 4:33 AM
I busted out my Magic the Gathering collection and taught my 12 y/o daughter how to play. She loves it, helps her brush up on some English and spending time together is great! Also we are thinking about watching Chernobyl, have heard a lot of good things about it.
wargames @ 3/18/2020 4:40 AM
I am going to watch gammora, zero, zero, zero and Top Boy and Do some house cleaning
dodger78 @ 3/18/2020 8:19 AM
wargames wrote:I am going to watch gammora, zero, zero, zero and Top Boy and Do some house cleaning

Gamorra is super good... great call!

CrushAlot @ 3/18/2020 8:28 AM
Taking some time to catch up on an old favorite.
https://www.talkbasket.net/59214-the-jou...
martin @ 3/18/2020 10:19 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Taking some time to catch up on an old favorite.
https://www.talkbasket.net/59214-the-jou...

HAHAHAA you need to live post while reading in that one thread

TheGame @ 3/18/2020 12:26 PM
Just finished watching the Kingdom on Netflix. It is good if you like zombie series. Also watched some anime on Amazon Prime -Mobile Gundam Origins, which is good and showed the begin of the whole Mobil Gundam series.
BigDaddyG @ 3/18/2020 12:39 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I'm finally making use of that Amazon Prime subscription. Jack Ryan is pretty good. I'm watching an anime called "Blade of the Immortal" that's excellent. Art work is amazing. It's about a Ronin cursed with an infection that makes it impossible for him to die from anything but decapitation. Very gruesome scenes. Also catching up on Curb, The Outside and Better Call Saul. And of course, Westworld. I heard Picard isn't that bad. Will give it a shot.


Havent read the anime, but the movie is awesome. Watching Westworld too, Curb "Latté Larry" LMAO. No high speed internet out here in the sticks, but Id check out "the expanse" season 4 is on Amazon.

Akwafina is fing hilarious, funniest comedy central show since "Key and Peele". Going to watch "The Plot against America" as well. Not to mention "Better call Saul" is as good as ever.


The last season of the Expanse was really good. The first few episodes of season 1 drag a bit due to world building, but the series has consistently gotten better since. I haven't read the books, but I'm tempted. I read the manga for Blade before I saw the live action movie and I was pleasantly surprised. It's not as good as the manga because it was made before the series was completed, but it works pretty well as a stand alone. It goes over the top with the blood spurts and gore, but I consider that a plus. The Amazon anime is a straight adoption of the books. There's also an earlier anime adoption that was just OK.
BigDaddyG @ 3/18/2020 12:43 PM
TheGame wrote:Just finished watching the Kingdom on Netflix. It is good if you like zombie series. Also watched some anime on Amazon Prime -Mobile Gundam Origins, which is good and showed the begin of the whole Mobil Gundam series.

Gotta check that out. I used to build Gunpla with my little nephew, but stopped watching the series after Gundam Wing. I tried Gundam Unicorn but it wasn't the same. Too many alternate timelines in that series.

GustavBahler @ 3/18/2020 12:59 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I'm finally making use of that Amazon Prime subscription. Jack Ryan is pretty good. I'm watching an anime called "Blade of the Immortal" that's excellent. Art work is amazing. It's about a Ronin cursed with an infection that makes it impossible for him to die from anything but decapitation. Very gruesome scenes. Also catching up on Curb, The Outside and Better Call Saul. And of course, Westworld. I heard Picard isn't that bad. Will give it a shot.


Havent read the anime, but the movie is awesome. Watching Westworld too, Curb "Latté Larry" LMAO. No high speed internet out here in the sticks, but Id check out "the expanse" season 4 is on Amazon.

Akwafina is fing hilarious, funniest comedy central show since "Key and Peele". Going to watch "The Plot against America" as well. Not to mention "Better call Saul" is as good as ever.


The last season of the Expanse was really good. The first few episodes of season 1 drag a bit due to world building, but the series has consistently gotten better since. I haven't read the books, but I'm tempted. I read the manga for Blade before I saw the live action movie and I was pleasantly surprised. It's not as good as the manga because it was made before the series was completed, but it works pretty well as a stand alone. It goes over the top with the blood spurts and gore, but I consider that a plus. The Amazon anime is a straight adoption of the books. There's also an earlier anime adoption that was just OK.

Spot on about parts of season one dragging because of "world building". It was worth it because the show has an epic quality to it. Love the Blade films, although Snipes wss crowded out in the last one. Doesnt get enough credit for starting the whole Marvel machine.

Snipes was very gracious when he heard they were casting Ali as his replacement in a reboot. Looking forward to that film. Curious as to who they will cast as "Whistler", probably a Brit, lol.

knicks1248 @ 3/18/2020 2:39 PM
wargames wrote:I am going to watch gammora, zero, zero, zero and Top Boy and Do some house cleaning

just watch zero zero zero, it was pretty good..

It was like Narcos, the Godfather and traffic all rolled into one movie, just a lot going on, but it all ties in together at the end

Allanfan20 @ 3/18/2020 4:05 PM
Watching Breaking Bad for the first time. It’s not bad.
smackeddog @ 3/18/2020 4:32 PM
ramtour420 wrote:I busted out my Magic the Gathering collection and taught my 12 y/o daughter how to play. She loves it, helps her brush up on some English and spending time together is great! Also we are thinking about watching Chernobyl, have heard a lot of good things about it.

There’s no greater delight than getting your kids into nerdy stuff you used to enjoy- can’t wait to get my niece into Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

smackeddog @ 3/18/2020 4:34 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:Watching Breaking Bad for the first time. It’s not bad.

If you end up loving it, I also recommend The Shield- feel that’s really not got the recognition it deserves

smackeddog @ 3/18/2020 5:10 PM
For those suffering withdrawal:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/25...


The NBA is offering all fans a free preview of League Pass until April 22.

Fans will have the opportunity to watch full length and condensed replays of all games from the 19-20 season, as well as their archive of classic games and content.

League Pass is available via the NBA App on a number of devices.

Page 1 of 29